Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Only Words I Need

I step outside and feel the faint sunlight on my skin. Winter has just subsided. Such a Winter always puts me in an apathetic limbo of smileless, cloudy days. For the first time since, I can smile when I go outside, for I know that the sun has been weak, like me, and is, perhaps, gaining hope for the days to come, strength to push forward, or happiness in sharing it’s meager energy with me, and others like myself. I walk eagerly along the wide paved path to the parking lot, trying not to seem too anxious to the public eye, but to no avail, as passersby make the slightest of faces filled with confusion towards my pace, which, has now evolved into a solid speed walk. The slight breeze in the air seemed to hurrying me along to my destination, like that of a caring grandmother, shooing her grandchildren off to the school bus; a fragrant and nurturing breeze.

I turn the building’s corner and my face lights up. I see you, my destination, sitting in your car, looking about for me, your destination. Upon making eye contact, a smile tears through my face like a cage that had been unlocked, my teeth it’s wild captives, and your face, the key. You step out from the car and greet me with a soothing tone. The same one you always use. The same one I adore so much. We share an embrace in the strengthening warmth of the sun. One I wish would never end. However, they are just as fleeting and evanescent as the ones before them.

With my fragile, ceramic-like hands gingerly held in yours; protective and strong, you lead the way back to my residence: my college dormitory. The closer we get to the elevator, I can feel my heart quicken - seemingly exponentially, for I know the moment we are about to share.

The doors slide open and we step inside, hoping that others don’t intrude upon our first, reunited moment, and none do. The cold metal doors slide closed, and I turn to you. Once again, my mouth loses control, and a smile is set free. You smile in return, and I step closer. I tilt my head upwards, and my lips meet yours, like a pair of masquerade ball dancers; foreign in physical appearance, but devilishly familiar in physical touch. It’s a glorious wonder how our faces were shaped like that of puzzle pieces. My heart stirs a dangerous feeling within my chest. A feeling of reckless abandon. An insatiable feeling that simply cannot be ignored.

I let this feeling possess me, and a wave of it leaks in the form of tears. I have no choice but to say the words written on my heart, before they can be filtered by my brain.

"I love you. I love you…. I love you!" I cry, as I bury my face into your chest and grip onto your shirt, silently screaming for you to never leave me; to never let me go. But what say you? How do you react? Why can’t I hear those words in return from your lips? Why is it so hard to understand that, that is all I need to keep sane; to keep this smile you gift to me, gracing my face?

No comments:

Post a Comment